Travel News » July 2013 » FCO report increase in sexual assault amongst Brits abroad

FCO report increase in sexual assault amongst Brits abroad


Reported cases of rape and sexual assault of British nationals abroad have increased by 10% in the last year according to figures from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The FCO's British Behaviour Abroad Report shows that the three countries with the highest number of cases of rape and sexual assault were Spain, Turkey and Greece - all destinations which are popular with young Brits who want to make the most of their busy nightlife.

To lower the risk of rape or assault on holiday the FCO advise young travellers to take the same precautions as they would at home. Including, groups of friends keeping an eye on each other, never accepting lifts from strangers, always getting a licenced taxi and never leaving drinks unattended.

If you do become a victim of assault when you are on holiday the FCO can provide help and assistance through their network of Embassies and Consular Offices. They will be able to explain local procedures to you, accompany you to a police station, assist with dealing with local authorities and contact your family and friends if requested.

Find the nearest Consular Office

If you are injured in an assault and require medical treatment your travel insurance can help you get the medical treatment you need quickly and cover your hospital bills. When you buy travel insurance you will be provided with an Emergency Medical Assistance phone number which you can contact 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The FCO report also states that alcohol continues to be a major factor in their assistance cases involving young people, particularly those visiting the Balearics, Turkey and the Greek Islands.

Excessive consumption of alcohol can make you more vulnerable to sexual assault as well as increase your chance of accident or injury; as such holidaymakers are advised to drink sensibly whilst they are abroad.

Be aware: Your travel insurance may not cover your medical costs if you injure yourself as a result of drinking excessive amounts of alcohol or taking drugs.

Get a Quote

News Archive

News Search