Travel News » September 2009 » Pets need holidays too

Pets need holidays too


You no longer have to leave the family pet behind when you go abroad, but your cat or dog must have a passport if it's going to accompany you on holiday and avoid going into quarantine on returning to the UK.

Countries where you can take your pet on holiday without the need for quarantine include most countries in the European Union plus dozens more such as Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Canada Hong Kong and Mexico.

They can travel with you in your car in ferries and on the Eurotunnel train service and they can also fly in the hold of several European airlines.

To get your pet a passport ? or a PETS certificate as it is officially called ? you need to go visit a vet who will microchip your cat or dog.

Your pet must also be vaccinated against rabies, for which it must be at least three months old.

Afterwards your pet should be blood-tested to make sure the jab has given them adequate protection. This is best done a month after the vaccination.

Then it's just a case of getting a PETS certificate from a government-authorised Local Veterinary Inspector. The whole process could cost about £200, but will vary according to vets fees.

The certificate is valid until your pet's next booster vaccination.

Remember that 24 to 48 hours before returning to the UK you'll need to get your pet treated for ticks and tapeworm, a procedure which must be carried out by a registered vet.

For more information, go to

Get a Quote

News Archive

News Search